Crispy Crunchy Parmesan Potatoes are a great complement to a savory meal. Baked to crispy perfection, these oven-roasted potato slices are coated in olive oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic and a good amount of parmesan!
Who doesn’t love potatoes? Whether you like eating them as fries, mashed up, in a soup, or baked with all the toppings, most folks love a good potato recipe.
With winter and cooler weather on the way, I think a cheesy herb potato recipe is much needed! Plus, with the holidays coming up, they work well as a side to any spread of food.
These potatoes come out of the oven crispy and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. The best part is that they don’t take long to bake. In just 25 minutes, the potatoes start crispin’ up and getting golden brown on the edges!
The hardest part is waiting for them to come out of the oven. Seeing the cheese bubble makes you want to take them out early! But waiting for them to get golden-brown is so worth it for that crunchy goodness!
Parmesan Potatoes Ingredients
This recipe is super simple and full of flavor! Essentially, you need potatoes, oil, cheese and dried herbs. Below are the spices and amount of potatoes you’ll need to make the crispy potatoes.
- Potatoes: I use russet potatoes that are about medium in size. Thinly slice them around 1/4 of an inch thick so that they all cook evenly.
- Olive oil: Need a good oil to coat the cheese in to help prevent it from burning.
- Parmesan cheese: make sure the cheese is finely grated. You can use store-bought or grate it yourself. I used a block of parmesan cheese and used the smallest level of the grater.
- Rosemary: I love the smell of rosemary when it’s cooking and the noticeable flavor on these chips.
- Ground thyme: Thyme and rosemary pair together so well!
- Garlic powder: always a must
- Salt: enhances all the other flavors
Let’s dig into how to make the recipe! In 4 steps, you have oven-baked crispy potatoes.
Steps and Instructions
- Start by scrubbing your potatoes to clean them. Then thinly slice them about a 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Next, coat the finely shredded parmesan in the oil with the herbs. This won’t create an oily cheese mixture. Rather, the cheese will absorb the oil so the mixuture will be dry and not oily. This step is to help pevent the cheese from browing too soon in the oven.
- Coat the potato slices in 1 tablespoon olive oil (just enough to lighly coat them) and pack the cheese and herb mixture on each potato slice. This is a get your hands messy kinda recipe! Pat a clump of the cheese and herb mixture on each side of the potato slice until all are covered. Bake for 25 minutes or until crispy.
- Allow the parmesan roasted potatoes to cool and enjoy! Dip them in your favorite sauce or eat plain. Personally, I love just eating the potatoes by themselves because of all the herb and cheese flavor!
Recipe Tips & FAQs
I’ve never made it this way, but I don’t see why not! As long as the cheese is finely grated, the potatoes should come out crispy and crunchy.
Honestly, you don’t have to flip them. I find they get crispy and crunchy with no flipping. Plus, it saves time not having to flip each individual slice!
You don’t want to add more oil and dunk the potatoes in it because it’ll be too much oil to safely cook. While they may not look “oily” as the potatoes cook, the cheese and oil will melt and bubble. So there’s enough to crisp them!
That’s it! Serve these crispy potatoes as a side to a main meal like baked chicken or a winter stew.
You can eat them plain or dip them in your favorite dip. My personal favorite is plain because they have so much flavor already. Although, if I were to use a dip, I would definitely add chives to it. Since chives are a bit garlicky, it would complement the herbs well.
Let me know below how you serve it! Would love to hear -enjoy!
Crispy Crunchy Herb Parmesan Potato Slices
- 3 scrubbed and sliced medium potatoes
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 cups thinly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fareinheight.
- Scrub and clean 3 medium sized potatoes. You can peel the potatoes if you prefer not to eat the skin. Thinly slice the potatoes about 1/4 inch thick and place in a bowl.
- Mix the 1/4 cup olive oil, thinly grated parmesan cheese, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder and salt together in a bowl. The mixture won't be oily and the cheese will absorb the oil. This is to prevent the cheese from browning too early.
- Coat the potato slices in a little oil but not much – 1 tablespoon is good.
- Pat a glob of the herb cheese mixture on each side of the potato slices. Since the cheese mixture won't stick to the potatoes on its own, use your hands to smoosh it on there. Lay the coated potato slices on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until crispy!
- When you add the oil to the cheese and herbs, it’ll absorb the oil. This step is to prevent the cheese from browning too early. You don’t want to add more oil to create an “oily” mixture as this will be too much oil for the oven. As the potatoes cook, you’ll see there is enough oil to get the crispiness! They go into the oven not looking great and come out looking beauuutiful!
- I only use block parmesan cheese with this recipe and haven’t used other forms. The main thing is that the cheese is finely grated.
If you ever make a recipe, tag me on Instagram @monicanedeff.rdn I love seeing your creations and sharing them with the community! Please comment and give this recipe a star rating if you’ve made it as it greatly helps support this blog and my small biz, thank you!