Stuffed with arugula, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese, tzatziki sauce and crispy baked za’atar tofu, this Mediterranean Tofu Wrap is sure to satisfy any lover of Mediterranean food!
I love using tofu as a way to change up my protein sources! I used to think tofu was “boring” but realized I wasn’t cooking with it correctly! Tofu is soaked in water, which requires us to do our best squeezing out as much water as possible before cooking with it.
Think of tofu as a sponge. It picks up the flavor of whatever you marinate it in or dish you build with it. In order for tofu to absorb flavors, it needs help releasing water. Once the water is release, they’ll be room for it to soak up the new flavors!
In this tofu recipe, we have a za’atar spice mix as the flavor powerhouse. It’s a Middle Eastern spice mix and one of my favorite ways to add an earthy, nutty flavor to dishes. Think of it as The Middle Eastern version of Trader Joe’s Everything But The Bagel Seasoning…amazing!
Breaded Tofu Ingredients
- Extra Firm Tofu: Firm and extra firm tofu are the most compact and hold up well for baking, sauteing or frying.
- Plain Bread Crumbs: I chose to use plain bread crumbs, so I can add my own seasonings; but you could experiment with flavored bread crumbs!
- Olive Oil: Olive oil coats the tofu cubes before rolling them in the seasonings.
- Za’atar:The star of the recipe! Za’atar consists of thyme, sesame seeds, sumac and salt.
- Ground Flax Seed: The flaxseed enhances the nutty flavor from the sesame of the za’atar!
- Garlic Salt: Garlic is almost always a must!
How to Get Water out of Tofu
- Drain the water from the package
- Cut the tofu into about 1 inch thick slabs
- Use a cutting board or something solid and lay kitchen towels or paper towels over it
- Lay the slabs of tofu side by side on top of the towels or paper towels
- Place another layer of paper towels or kitchen towels over the tofu
- Put another solid surface like a cutting board on top of the tofu
- Add weight to compress the tofu and release the water. I use my old college textbooks, but you could also put canned goods or anything else that adds extra weight!
- Wait at least 15 mins up to 30 minutes to allow the water to be released
- Cut the tofu into 1 inch cubes!
- Coat tofu in olive oil
- Roll the tofu in the seasonings
Making the Wraps
This wrap is full of Mediterranean flavor! I use whole wheat wraps, arugula, spinach, sun dried-tomatoes, feta cheese, tzatziki sauce and of course the delish za’atar tofu! Add an extra sprinkle of za’atar on your wrap for extra flavor. If you’re looking for a vegetarian or plant based option to a gyro, this is it!
Need some other lunch ideas? My cranberry walnut chicken salad sandwiches are an easy sandwich to meal prep and super yummy!
Za’atar Mediterranean Tofu Wrap
For the Za'atar Tofu
- 1 pound firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 2 tablespoons za'atar
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
For the Wraps
- 1 whole wheat wrap
- 2 tbsp tzatziki sauce
- 1 handful spinach and arugula
- 1 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 1.5 tsp chopped sun dried tomato
- 3/4 cup za'atar tofu
For the Za'atar Tofu
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain the water from the tofu package.
- Cut the tofu into about 1 inch thick slabs.
- Use a cutting board or something solid, lay kitchen towels or paper towels over the surface and lay the tofu on top.
- Place another layer of paper towels or kitchen towels over the tofu. Apply pressure with something heavy like textbooks or another cutting board with canned goods on top. Wait 15-30 minutes to release as much water as possible.
- Cut the tofu into 1 inch cubes and place in bowl to evenly coat with olive oil.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and toss the tofu in the seasonings.
- Place tofu on a nonstick pan and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy, flipping halfway to evenly bake them!
For the Wraps
- Spread 2 tbsp tzatziki sauce on each wrap.
- Sprinkle a handful of spinach and arugula on top of the tzatziki sauce.
- Place 3/4 cup tofu on each wrap.
- Sprinkle 1.5 tsp of the chopped sun dried tomatoes and 1 tbsp of crumbled feta cheese.
- Add an extra dash of za'atar and roll like a burrito – enjoy!