Za’atar pizza puts a Middle Eastern spin on Italian pizza! It’s flavorful and easy to make as an appetizer or turn into a main dish for a meal. Let’s dig into this Mediterranean goodness!
Za’atar Bread with a Twist!
Ever heard of za’atar bread, also known as Man’oushe? It’s simple to make! Use pita or naan bread. Mix olive oil and za’atar together and spread on top of the bread. Bake in an oven at 400 degrees until the top turns golden and a bit crispy for a delicious and savory finger food!
But why not add more delicious Mediterranean flavors to that za’atar bread? So I decided to turn it into za’atar pizza, which is like a Mediterranean flatbread.
The foundation of this recipe is za’atar, olive oil and naan. The olive oil and za’atar mixture is the “sauce” of the pizza. From there you can add whatever toppings you like. I decided to keep it simple with a few Mediterranean toppings!
How to Make Za’atar Pizza
Start with making your oil and za’atar blend. Then brush it over your naan or pita bread. Step 1 done!
Next, add the sliced tomatoes and crumbled feta cheese. Bake for around 10 minutes or until golden and crispy on the edges. As the pizza cooks, make the tahini sauce!
I’ve used this tahini sauce in my za’atar fries recipe, and it’s one of my favorite sauces! In a blender, add 1/2 cup tahini, 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt. Add water as necessary for desired consistency. Since this will be drizzled over the pizza, I added 6 tablespoons of water to make it thinner. But if you want more of a dipping sauce consistency than do 4 tablespoons water.
Za'atar Pizza Recipe
- 1 naan flatbread or pita bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon za'atar spice mix
- sliced roma tomatoes
- crumbled feta cheese
Tahini Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup tahini sauce
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-6 tablespoons water
For Za'atar Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix olive oil and za'atar in a bowl and spread onto pita or naan bread.
- Add sliced tomatoes and crumbled feta cheese
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges get golden and a bit crispy
For the Tahini Sauce
- In a blender, add the tahini, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt and water – blend well!
- Drizzle over baked pizza or dip pizza in the sauce!
- For a dipping sauce consistency, 4 tablespoons water is good. For a thinner sauce to drizzle over the top, use 6 tablespoons water or adjust as needed.
If you ever make a recipe, tag me on Instagram @monicanedeff.rdn I love seeing your creations and sharing them with the community! Please comment and give this recipe a star rating if you’ve made it as it greatly helps support this blog and my small biz, thank you! Happy cooking!