I love turkey burgers, and these Greek inspired Spinach Feta Turkey Burgers are full of flavor from the sautéed onions with garlic, spinach and the salty feta.
I made them on my Instagram stories last week to show just how easy they are to make for lunch or dinner. They have become a family favorite here, and I hope to share that Mediterranean deliciousness with you today!
Step by Step Directions
Start by prepping the spinach and onions by heating 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and let it simmer for a bit to infuse the oil.
Next, add in the diced onion. After a few minutes mix in the chopped spinach. Sauté for just a few more minutes until the onions are translucent and the spinach has wilted. Take the pan off the heat and allow the spinach and onions to cool to room temp.
As the onions and spinach cool, move onto the ground turkey. For lean meat, I aim for 90% lean or higher.
In a large bowl combine the ground turkey, feta cheese, salt and pepper. Mix in the spinach and onions once it has cooled to room temperature to prevent the feta from melting. Mix well!
Grilling the Turkey Patties
Heat the grill to medium-high heat. This recipe makes a total of five burgers, so divide the ground turkey into five sections and form into patties.
A common question of non-beef burgers: Will these burgers fall apart? Nope! These turkey burgers have never fallen apart on me. They hold together well!
When ready, grill the turkey burgers for 5 minutes on each side. As the turkey burgers are cooking get your toppings ready to go!
Toppings could include fresh spinach, cucumber, tomato red onion, and tzatziki. For fresh herbs try dill. Many tzatziki sauces use dill, so it’ll compliment the burger well!
In these pictures, I made them simple with just spinach leaves, red onion and tzatziki. Got any other ideas for burger toppings? Let me know your favs below!
What to Serve with the Turkey Burgers?
Fries are an obvious go-to! Try baked sweet potato fries, my za’atar fries, normal potato fries or veggie fries.
Have a side salad – complete this Greek food spread with my Authentic Greek Salad!
Roasted veggie skewers would be a yummy option as well. Marinate peppers and onions in some balsamic vinegar and olive oil and grill alongside your turkey burgers!
Spinach Feta Turkey Burgers with Tzatziki
- 1 pound ground lean turkey
- 1.5 cups chopped spinach plus extra leaves for toppings
- 1/4 cup diced onion plus a few slices for toppings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of minced garlic over medium heat.
- Dice 1/4 cup onion and add it into the oil first. Let the onions sauté for a few minutes as you chop 1.5 cups of spinach.
- Add in the chopped spinach. Stir the onions and spinach around until the onions become translucent and the spinach wilts. Should take no more than 5 more minutes.
- Once the onions and spinach are done being suatéed take the pan off the heat to cool to room temp.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 pound lean ground turkey, 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Once the spinach and onions have cooled down add them into the bowl of ground turkey.
- Mix well and form into five patties.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Assemble turkey burgers with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- For lean meats, I aim for 90% lean or higher.
- Make sure the spinach and onions have completely cooled to room temperature before adding into the other ingredients in order to prevent melting the feta cheese.
If you ever make a recipe, tag me on Instagram @monicanedeff.rdn I love seeing your creations and sharing them with the community! Please comment and give this recipe a star rating if you’ve made it as it greatly helps support this blog and my small biz, thank you! Happy cooking!