This Lemon Chicken Pasta is an easy summer pasta dish and full of zesty flavor! The sauce is made with fresh lemon juice, zest, garlic, cherry tomatoes and freshly grated parmesan.
This dish is easy to make with one pot for the noodles and one pan for the sauce and chicken. Throw it all in the same pan at the end for an easy one-skillet meal!
Choosing the Pasta Noodle
You can use whatever noodles you have on hand! I love using fettuccine noodles but penne, classic spaghetti or any noodle will do.
For a high fiber option try whole wheat pasta noodles.
If you need a gluten-free alternative, try noodles made from lentils or chickpeas. It'll be high in fiber and protein and gluten-free!
Prepping the Ingredients
Start by getting the noodles boiling. As the noodles cook, prep your ingredients.
You'll need to slice the cherry tomatoes, get the seasoning ready for the chicken, mince the garlic, slice the butter and grate the cheese if using a block of parmesan (highly recommend!)
Quick Skillet Chicken
I love finding ways to save time cooking and buying thinly sliced chicken breast is one of them!
It saves so much time cooking with how thin it is - it usually only takes 2-3 minutes to cook on each side.
If you have to buy regular chicken breast you can slice it in half and pound it to get a similar cut. It'll still be thicker than the thinly sliced chicken breast pictured below, but it'll still save you time compared to regular chicken breast.
If you've never sliced chicken breast into thin cutlets, check out this article by Serious Eats that goes through how to do it step by step.
You can mix the salt, pepper and garlic powder together before sprinkling it on the chicken or just do each spice one at a time.
Massage it into the chicken to help spread it evenly and stick well.
Light Lemon Sauce
This lemon sauce isn't super cheesy or overly creamy. It coats everything well with just enough richness and a good amount of lemon zest!
The roasted garlic is very potent and works so well with the lemon and salty parmesan. You'll find this sauce very savory and flavorful.
Know you can adapt this recipe and add in other veggies to the sauce. I chose to include cherry tomatoes and love the addition, but you could also sauté spinach, peppers, onion or any other vegetable into the mix.
If you do adapt the recipe, share below your combo - would love to hear it!
What to Pair with the Pasta Dish
I would add a side veggie to this meal maybe try my roasted brussels sprouts with lemon basil dressing to compliment the zesty flavors from the salad.
You could also do a side salad of your favorite salad greens and veggies.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
I would buy regular chicken breast and slice it in half or even thinner if you're able. You can pound it to help get the thickness lower. It'll take a little bit longer to cook depending on how thick it is.
Absolutely! Add spinach, peppers, onions or whatever your heart desires in the step when you sauté the tomatoes.
More Chicken Recipes
Crock Pot Chicken Salsa Fresca: This super easy 4 ingredient recipe is perfect for quick weeknight dinners.
Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Chicken Bake: Can one ever get too much Mediterranean flavors? I don't think so! This is a great meal prep recipe and super flavorful.
Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad: Try out this healthier spin on chicken salad with a mix of Greek yogurt and mayo with dried cranberries and flavorful herbs.
Guacamole Chicken Salad: Take two of your favorite things: chicken salad and guacamole and bring them together to get this delicious recipe!
Lemon Chicken Pasta
- 8 ounces pasta (any type!)
- 1 pound thinly sliced chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 pint sliced cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
Cook the Pasta
- Cook pasta al dente according to package instructions.
- Once the pasta is done cooking, drain the noodles and spray them with olive oil to prevent them from sticking to each other.
- Set the noodles aside for later use.
Cook the Chicken
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and cook the chicken breast on each side for 2-3 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Take the chicken off the stove and cut into bite-sized pieces. Set aside for later use.
Create the Lemon Sauce
- Using the same skillet lower the heat to low-medium and add the butter and remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Once melted, add the sliced tomatoes and saute for 3-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the minced garlic and saute for an additional minute to infuse.
- Add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Once melted add the lemon juice and zest.
- Add the noodles back to the pan and toss to coat well.
- Add the cooked chicken back into the pan as well and serve with extra lemon and parmesan cheese if desired.
- As the pasta cooks, prep your ingredients for the chicken and sauce.
- If using regular chicken breast you can cut the chicken in half to make it thinner and speed up the cooking process. It'll take longer to cook since it's thicker than thinly sliced chicken breast. It make take 4-5minutes on each side or longer depending on thickness.
(Nutrition values are calculated by third-party software and an estimate that can vary based on product brands and cooking methods.)